This was the dream costume of a second grade girl, a skeleton. It may seem sad to want to be a horrifying skeleton rather than a princess at that age, but there was a dream that went behind that mask. I had a vision of running down the streets from door to door in a GLOW-IN-THE-DARK skeleton outfit. I could see myself lighting up the dark streets as I walked by with kids wanting to follow where I would trick-or-treat. Only the glowing bones could be seen and my idea seemed so original so cool I knew I could pull it off.
The project started...day in and day out I looked for glow in the dark bones I could wear, but nothing. There were plastic ones to hang on doors but I knew it would not be sufficient enough for my vision of enchanting the world with my costume. The project was now down to crunch time and I still hadn' t found what I was looking for. Sadly I had to let go of a part of my dream and buy a 'normal' skeleton body suit. The day before Halloween came and shopping through the isles with my mom I saw it! The last Glow-in-the-dark skeleton mask was neatly sitting on the shelf waiting for me. I grabbed it telling my mom, "this is it! this is it!" Despite what she tried to say to me I knew this is what I needed to make my Halloween dream come to life! I did not see this mask as the face of death, but the glowing skeleton fit for me.
The Halloween parade was here and my dad painted my face as a skeleton with eyelashes on me...I didn't understand why he was doing that because I was going to wear my mask anyway. He told me it was just in case I took it off. He then put my mask on and tied the two strings in a bow on the top of my head. It didn't occur to me that he was doing this to make me look more like a girl than a creeper. All I knew was that night was going to be the best trick-or-treat night ever!
The moment it dawned on me was when my two sisters and I went trick-or-treating to our first house and after I said "trick-or-treat" they gave my two sisters candy bracelets (my favorite) and me a piece of licorice. I couldn't believe they thought I was a boy! Couldn't they hear my voice...definitely a girl! I was crushed! What had happened to my dream? And why wasn't my face glowing ( I realized after it got dark my mask didn't quiet get the glow I wanted it to).
I am sad to say my dream went a different direction that Halloween night and even worse I still don't see glow-in-the-dark skeleton costumes to this day! To make this tragic event end well, for those that like happy endings, I did get many good scares out if it with my brother. Every time my sisters and I would put on the mask we would come running and he would go screaming! There were many days entertained between us, the mask, and Jordan.
The Mask...what more can I say?!
Sunday, October 26, 2008
THE MASK
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
"Hey Jordan, Stacy is sleeping under that book, go lift it up . . . " - a katelyn original
haha, oh becky, i loved this post! so funny! love ya!!
Post a Comment