Monday, October 19, 2009

The Life of a Midshipman


This is what they do everyday at lunchtime. They have a formation and march into lunch. There are 4,000 of them so this was way cool to watch. Once they all went inside I got to go eat lunch with Jarom and his crew (aka company). I was the only person there with my hair down and not in a uniform...so I didn't really fit in and got a lot of stares. The next time I went into lunch I tried to wear black to blend in a little better, but Jarom just laughed and said, "nope still don't fit in". I wasn't meant to be cut out for the Naval Academy. They have lots of fun traditions though and I got to be a part of them. I 'rated' a plebe. A plebe is a freshman, and I rated him by asking how long he has been in the Navy. They have all these little jigs (or poems, but I am sure they wouldn't call them that there) and when you ask them a question they have to give you an answer. On Fridays they have joke days where you bang on the table to get everyone's attention and tell your joke. I unfortunately lost my voice so Jarom told my 'your mama's so fat joke.' Its a good one. Because Jarom is a 'firstie' (or a senior, I had to learn this whole new language so bear with me as you learn too) he can walk by the windows where there isn't a lot of traffic to get to his table. This is one of the many privileges you get when you have been at that school for three years. He gets to wear his khaki uniform since he is a firstie while the other midshipmen have to wear their dress blues, which is their black uniform.

No comments: