Monday, November 30, 2009

Sunburn for the eyes

This is after the third day of absolutely no light. My eyes may not look that red, but two days ago you wouldn't have been able to even tell I had eyes. I burned my eyes with UV light. You may ask, "what were you doing, in a tanning bed?" No. I was not in a tanning bed. I burned my eyes in my lab running a DNA gel and looking at all the pretty colors. Yes, they were mesmerizing. Who would have thought I would have burned the whites of my eyes to the point where I couldn't see and go to the hospital for some aloe vera for the eyes (basically eye drops but they told me that if I used them more than once they would melt my eyes).
Most wouldn't know that your eyeballs could get burned, but yes it is possible. Because I have light blue eyes I tell people its like having fair skin and therefore burn easily. They could barely believe my story in the hospital at 3 am.
We had to go at 3 am because just like a sunburn, it didn't set in until later that night until finally I couldn't stand it anymore.
My eyes are back to normal now and now I just have more motivation to invent SUNSCREEN FOR THE EYES.
Ok yes sunglasses would work, but in cases where you loose and break many pairs a nice set of clear eyes with sunscreen would work perfectly!don't you just want to look at it too?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OUCH! Just when you think your done with emergency room visits....someone is not getting enough attention....Jarom come back.

Anonymous said...

that picture is EVIL!!haha really though and you cant even tell your eyes are burned haha but i love you
love kate

Sherrie said...

Wow! Ouch!!!! Who burns their eyes like that!?! haha That is crazy! Hope your eyeballs are feeling much better now!

I was thinking about you - was in DC a couple weeks ago. Can't believe 204 was a year ago!! Sure do miss seeing you girl!!