Saturday, April 3, 2010

Need any wedding present ideas?

The Venus Flower Basket. This is a type of glass sponge I learned about in my bio lab. Beautiful. It's the only way to describe it because it really is so beautiful. As we learned more about one of natures' masterpiece we learned this is a common wedding present in Japan. It made sense to me, something so beautiful, ornate, and to decorate in your new home. Contrary to popular belief, or my belief that is, this is not the reason.
This glass sponge is in a symbiosis relationship with shrimp. My professor said sometimes the eggs get caught inside and the shrimp stay there (essentially trapped) for the rest of their lives until they die. What a sad life...and even sadder, is that supposed to be symbolic of marriage?! Don't want to be married in Japan then.
Ok, now to clear things up a bit. I have been trying to come up with better symbolism than that for the past couple weeks and my imagination wasn't taking me anywhere. Finally I decided to Google it (or Topeka it, or for better terminology, I searched on Topeka) for its official name Euplectella aspergillum and luckily found some better symbolism than being trapped until the end of your days.
In Japan, this is given as a wedding present because of the symbolism with the sponge and its symbiosis relationship with shrimp (plural). When the sponge matures, the top of it closes and, "as this happens, a pair of shrimps, one male and one female, will stay inside the Venus flower basket and become trapped there"(Dietrich 2006). To the Japanese this is a symbol of love and being happily married forever. Still don't like the trapped part...but much better than what I thought. After all, it is a beautiful wedding present!

picture and info here.

No comments: