Sunday, February 1, 2009

Amish Country

My roommates and I decided to take a trip to Intercourse Pennsylvania! We knew the first stop is in a buggy where we can get the inside scoop of Amish lifestyle. Aaron, our driver, and Mary, the young white Stallion, were our tour guides for the day. We weren’t sure if we would be able to take our camera or pictures of the Amish people. I wasn’t sure how to ask Aaron if that would even be taboo to ask that sort of question.
After Aaron cracked a few dry jokes (which most of them we got later as we were eating) we knew he would be welcoming to any questions we had about their beliefs and way of life.
I would say one of the best things they have is their insurance. The one question I didn't ask and should have is if I could get on their plan! They pay their premiums and when they need to use the money for health care, they do. That is the same way with their fire insurance. He did mention their fire insurance is the best around! He didn't want to brag about it, but knew it was the best you would get anywhere.
He kept on telling us who's house in town is Amish. We learned the secret way to tell an Amish home is they don't have blinds, but they have blue or green curtains. This is to see who their Amish friends are as well as a reminder that they are ‘in the world, but not of the world.’
One of the best things I loved about our stay in Amish country is the food (which I will discuss later) and something Aaron said. As we finished up our buggy ride he exclaimed, "Well I'm 72 years old and it’s not perfect [the Amish lifestyle], but I'm sure appreciative of my heritage." It really struck me that they realize their family is the thing that matters most and the sacrifices that they have made to bless their children’s lives.
They help each other out as a community and although their technology is not one of their strengths, they realize what is most important in life, God and family. They emphasize the importance of service to each other and our humble and not haughty to people of different beliefs.
Now for the homemade cooked food, it was amazing! I had to take a loaf of bread home with me because I enjoyed it so much! I only wish I could order online freshly churned butter and baked bread. I won't expect it in the near future, but maybe someday (or otherwise I’ll have to make a trip back their which may seem more logical).


1 comment:

Christyn Caryn said...

Amen! Yeah for heritage! haha, Hey Becky... Remember how we learned that Abe Lincoln was killed? Well... want to know why Abe Lincoln was not burried with this finger? It's because it's MY finger!
Bahahaha! Oh Aaron!