Wednesday, April 8, 2009

huevo de pascua aka easter eggs

This was our big crafty project for Conference weekend, Easter Baskets! I learned this project when I was about five years old and recently rediscovered it last year. It is tougher than a person thinks! It took about a week for my colleges and I to figure it out last year so I knew most of the ins and outs for this years attempt. We only had two pop so it was a success(one was too much string pressure for the balloon and the other one randomly deflated)!
Instructions for those that would like to try:
Supplies
Water
Sugar
Spool of thread
Balloon

Sugar Water
-I would say the ratio is more like 3:1
3 cups sugar to every 1 cup water
heat it in a sauce pan so it becomes supersaturated *(you want a hard egg not a softy)

-When saturated, put sugar water in a big bowl and put the whole spool of thread in the concoction (yes the whole spool) and let it soak for a minute
-blow up your balloon, it doesn't matter what color because you are going to pop it
-take the soaked sugar string and start to wrap your balloon
- wrap it every which way until you can barely see any holes, or at least they are little holes
-let it dry for a day
-if it feels crunchy than pop the balloon
if you don't think it feels crunchy than you didn't add enough sugar to water and you'll have to take it from there...
-VOILA! You have your egg. Now cut a hole in the side to put your grass, presents, and candy in!*


*side note: if you think your sugar water is too much water please just add more sugar
better to be safe than sorry
* look below for final project

1 comment:

Alison said...

Do you buy colored string, or can you put food coloring in the sugar water? I did this when I was little too, and I think it will be fun to try again next year.